Learn about our 2023 Fellows and their work here.
At Audubon Southwest, we seek science-based solutions to the biggest threats facing the region’s birds, other wildlife, habitats, and communities. Without sound science to tell us what birds need, we cannot do our work.
That is why we offer our annual Appleton-Whittell Research Ranch (AWRR) student Fellowship! Through this program, we provide support to young scientists embarking on research with the potential to further Frank and Arial Appleton’s founding mission of the Research Ranch – to leave the land better than we found it. Supported research includes but is not limited to studies focused on:
- Grassland conservation
- Arizona Species of Greatest Conservation Need
- Ecosystem restoration and rehabilitation
- Natural history at any scale
- The impacts of climate change and aridification
- Community engagement in science and conservation
Stay tuned for the announcement of 2024's AWRR Student Research Fellowships, and thank you to the donors who make this award possible!